• A unique dedication to the early Porsche race cars; each car is identified by its chassis type and number
• Uses only period images, mainly from the Porsche collection and also private collections
• Many images are seen in print here for the first time
• An illustrated account of the versatility of each of the models, in racing, hillclimbing and rallying
• A chronological description of the development of the Silver Sports, and Formula 1 and 2 cars from Porsche
• Brings together all the known facts – and some new ones – from a period full of camaraderie
• A historical work of reference for those wanting to identify types, chassis, and races matched to images
• Definitive images of these remarkable cars were selected from the complete Porsche ‘werks’ photographic archive
• Covers all the relevant World Championship races, European and International hillclimbs, and Mille Miglia
• Chronicling the remarkable rise and racing success of early Porsche race cars, until they ceased to be silver and gained the livery of sponsors
A work covering the early Silver racing cars that formed the racing pedigree for Porsche’s racing achievements. Illustrated exclusively with period photographs from the Porsche archives, this book evocatively describes the life and times of the heroes of the 50s and 60s, who raced the Porsche Spyders and Coupes.
This book pays homage to the early ‘silver’ racing cars that formed the racing pedigree for Porsche’s racing achievements. Illustrated exclusively with period photographs, sourced mainly from the Porsche archives, this book evocatively describes the life and times of the racing heroes of the 50s and 60s, who raced the ‘Silver Steeds’ – the Porsche Spyders and Coupes.
Giving an historic account of the development of these early race cars, the book goes on to describe the models, with each car identified by its chassis type and number; details of key races, drivers, and personal accounts are also included, along with a Foreword by Jurgen Barth.
Roy Smith, author of several award-winning motoring books, has given us another unique insight into the world of motorsport - this time into the early race cars of Porsche, the cars that set the company on the way to huge success that is still happening today. This book will prove to be an entertaining read for newcomers and hardened enthusiasts alike.
Period Covered: 1900-1965
Models Covered: Porsche – Types 550 RS, 550 A-RS, 718 RSK, Porsche Abarth 356B GTL, 718/2, 787, 804, 904, 904/6
Glockler Porsche -Spyder 7 cars 1950 to 1954
Porsche 550RS Spyder 97 cars 1953-1955
Porsche 550 A-RS Spyder 40 cars 1955-1957
Porsche 718 RSK Spyder 35 cars 1957-1959
Porsche 718 RSK RS 60 Spyder 22 cars 1959 -1960
Porsche 718 RSK RS 61 Spyder 16 cars 1960-1961
Porsche 718 RSK W-RS 8 cylinder Spyder 1 car 1962
Porsche 718/2 Formula 2 single seater 4 cars 1958 -1959
Porsche 787 Formula 2 and Formula 1 2 cars 1960
Porsche-Abarth GTL 1960
Porsche 804 Formula 1 car 4 built 1962
Porsche 904 GTS Coupe 112 built 1964/65
Porsche 906 GTS Coupe 6 built 1964/65
Models NOT Covered: Porsche road cars