• Engine & chassis specifications included
• Covers all optional equipment
• Detailed close-up of all engines offered
• 3rd generation ½-ton Chevrolet pickup truck production facts and figures from 1971-1983
• Focus on all of the Chevrolet ½-ton C/K-Series models offered
• Previously unpublished images of fully restored ½-ton C/K-Series pickups
• Images sourced from period advertisements and brochures
• Images of rarer performance versions
• Descriptive, detailed text on annual model changes, period road tests & references when new
• Highlights distinctive styling cues and increasing market focus on luxury features
This book focuses on the evolution of the popular 3rd generation Chevrolet ½-ton C/K-Series pickup trucks from 1973-1987. Taking a detailed look at the history, development and specs, this book also looks at customisation and restoration of this classic American pickup.
This book focuses on the evolution of the popular 3rd generation Chevrolet ½-ton C/K-Series pickup trucks from 1973-1987. Chevrolet’s ½-ton pickup trucks were competing head-to-head in a highly competitive marketplace with Ford’s always popular F150. At the same time, other truck builders such as Dodge, International Harvester, and Jeep were constantly applying pressure to increase sales in an attempt to capture more market share at the expense of the leaders.
Following a brief history of Chevrolet’s building of the corporation’s ½-ton pickup trucks, the book takes an extensive look at Chevrolet’s ½-ton C/K-Series pickup trucks with emphasis on the all new model, followed by a year-by-year description of the evolving 1970s models, and the various market demands, which often led to the introduction of niche models to broaden its market base.
As well, Chevrolet reacted to a changing marketplace which included a greater interest in 4WD, while being detoured by fuel shortages, ever-changing fuel economy and pollution regulations, and the constant quest to reduce overall weight.
As well as the production models, there are chapters on the restoration and the growing interest in the customizing of these Chevy C/K models by enthusiasts.
Period Covered: 1973-1987
Models Covered: 1973-1987 Chevrolet ½-ton C/K-Series Pickup Trucks
The Chevrolet ½-ton C/K-Series pickups were subtly styled, yet its smooth flowing, simple lines resulted in a clean, handsome, yet functional design. Like a man’s tuxedo or a woman’s simple, black dress, the tasteful ½-ton C/K-Series pickups looked as appropriate outside a New York theatre as it did on a city construction site or foraging through the woods.
This volume focuses specifically on the Chevrolet ½-ton C/K-Series pickup truck model, its uniqueness, styling features, and wide array of optional equipment, along with industry facts and figures.
Rarely seen cut-away drawings and previously unpublished photos specifically on the Chevrolet ½-ton C/K-Series pickup trucks.