• Engine & chassis specifications included
• Covers optional equipment, racing involvement
• Detailed, close-up of the various engines offered
• Chevrolet production facts and figures from 1958-1970
• Focus on all of the Chevrolet Impala bodystyles
• Previously unpublished images of fully restored Impalas
• Images sourced from period advertisements and brochures
• Images of rarer performance versions
• Descriptive, detailed text on annual model changes, period road test stats & references when new
• Highlights distinctive styling cues
This book examines the evolution of the popular Chevrolet Impala, from the late 1950s ‘specialty’ vehicle to Chevrolet’s best-selling, iconic model in North America. Includes full specifications, rarer performance models, industry facts and figures and optional equipment through detailed text, advertising images, and original photographs.
This book examines the evolution of the popular Chevrolet Impala from the late 1950s stylish ‘specialty’ vehicle to become Chevrolet’s best-selling, iconic model in North America. As well, this volume focuses on specifications, rarer performance models, industry facts and figures and optional equipment, through detailed text, brochure and advertising images, along with previously unpublished photographs.
The important role played by the Impala for Chevrolet is also examined, as well as GM as a whole from its top-of-the-line, ‘specialty’ model status to its broad range of body styles and mainstream, volume production model status.
As the 1950s ended, the Chevrolet Impala evolved into a status symbol, and added more and more style, comfort and optional equipment to its ever-increasing model range. From its similar styling and tri-colour pastel paint finishes the original Chevrolet Impala was the flashy, stylish sibling in the line-up, only to eventually return to a more conservative high-volume, mainstream car.
Period Covered: 1958-1970
Models Covered: Chevrolet Impala
The Chevrolet Impala was an image maker in the latter half of the 1950s, for Chevrolet and GM as a whole. Originally as part of the emerging ‘specialty’ car market in America, along the way it became the American Dream car.
This volume focuses specifically on the Chevrolet Impala’s models, its uniqueness, styling features unique options, along with industry facts and figures.
Rarely seen cut-away drawings and previously unpublished photos of the Chevrolet Impala.