The downloadable sample PDF requires the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to be installed on your computer.
• A comprehensive guide to the workings of modern cars for general readership
• Operating principles of the main parts explained in a simple language
• A jargon-free description of various types of propulsion systems
• Everything you need to know about car systems and safety
• 100 photos and illustrations, including cutaways
• knowledge that will boost confidence when negotiating with mechanics
• Will inspire you to become a better car owner
• Learn to recognize and understand different types of cars
• Convenient glossary of terms
Do you know how your car works? This book dissects and explains one of the finest inventions ever made. Written in a simple, jargon-free language and packed with illustrations and cutaways, it will suit everyone from a pupil with a poster of a supercar on his wall, to a housewife who is just curious about the goings-on beneath her car’s bonnet.
A comprehensive guided tour under the skin of the car. Diesel, petrol (gasoline), electric, hybrid and alternative propulsions are all dissected and explained in a reader-friendly manner, and as you move from the engine to the tailpipe, you’ll discover what an exciting world there is within the car. Organised in intuitive chapters and backed with colourful illustrations and cutaways, this book describes the systems and parts that make your car move. Without emphasising the ‘boring’ science bits, it discusses the practical application of various automotive terms, and explains why having more of one thing and less of another is beneficial in the real world. Whether you’re just curious, or wish to become a better car owner, this book will start you on an exciting journey.
"…a concise and comprehensive guide…"
Everything that makes a car work as intended is described in simple terms, shedding light on the inner workings of parts or components and how they relate to others.
Period covered: 1900-2010