The downloadable sample PDF requires the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to be installed on your computer.
• Concise, easily accessible information
• Humorous illustrations reinforce the written message
• Easy to read – highly accessible for visitors with weak English
• Answers the questions overseas visitors have about England
• Fills in the gaps left by other guides
• No waffle or pretentiousness – what you see is what you get
• Cheap, cheerful and informative souvenir
• A unique perspective on English customs, traditions, history and values
• England and the English in a nutshell
• Fun, fun, fun!
Meet the English is a light-hearted look at some of the history, customs, traditions, people, and places that help make England England, and the English so very … well, English! It will help visitors to begin to appreciate, if not fully understand, this unique country and its people.
If you are English, please read this book with a light heart and do what the English do best – have a laugh at yourself. If you are a visitor, or are planning to visit England’s sometimes sunny, sometimes cloudy, and sometimes windy shores, this book will help you to begin to appreciate, if not fully understand, this unique country and its people.
Each page of the book features a section entitled ‘Metaphorically Speaking’ – a testimony to the English love of metaphors, which can often cause confusion if English is not your native language. These sections explore some of the many unusual metaphors a visitor might hear, and offer helpful advice on when to use them.
Featuring humorous illustrations throughout, this is a hilarious and informative read for all nationalities.