• Definitive history of Leica SLRs.
• Sales in all major markets covered in detail.
• Written by a recognized author and historian.
• Changes covered year-by-year.
• Written with the full co-operation of the factory.
• Handy reference charts throughout.
• Detailed production figures, including serial numbers.
• Unravels what is indeed a very convoluted story.
• Contemporary photography to help owners with authenticity issues.
• The author is a serious collector of old cameras.
The definitive history of Leica's SLRs, from the way they evolved from the SLs into a technological tour de force. The book takes in all major markets and uses stunning contemporary photography gathered from all over the world to help owners establish authenticity or simply take a trip down memory lane.
Researched and written with the full co-operation of the factory, here in definitive detail is the story of the SLRs that saved the Leica brand, along with the numerous lenses sold alongside them. All variations are covered, including official limited editions, allowing collectors to use the book for reference, or simply enjoy the stunning photography – mostly contemporary and original, some taken specially for the book – gathered from all over the world.
Successful immediately, these SLR models ran alongside the legendary M-series to defend Leica's honour in the showrooms at a time when it looked like the Japanese had the camera market sewn up. Today, the R-series (1976-2009) is becoming more and more collectable, so this authoritative guide is timely.
Period Covered: 1976-2009
Models Covered: All Leica R-series models, 1976 onwards...
The Leica R-series models helped keep the famous brand afloat in very uncertain times.
This book tells the full story of these celebrated cameras in a depth never before attempted.
Contemporary photography from around the world, virtually all in colour.