• Covers all models from launch to final facelift
• Includes six, eight and twelve-cylinder engines
• Will help you decide if the R129 is right for you ...
• And if now is the right time to buy an R129
• Real-world running costs, based on author's own experience
• Understand the complexity of the R129
• Comprehensive inspection guide
• After-market upgrades and modifications - to look for, and avoid!
• Choosing the right version, options and colours
• Details of independent specialists, clubs and online support
Tempted by the effortless performance and surprisingly affordable prices of Mercedes' R129 series SL, but unsure where to start looking? Take this book with you and follow its expert guidance. Choose the right model for your needs, and learn how to assess a promising car like a professional. Buy the right car at the right price!
With prices for the older Mercedes-Benz models, such as the ‘Pagoda’ and W107 SLs heading ever higher, many enthusiasts are now starting to look at the R129 series SL. Produced from 1989-2001, it combined timeless elegance, luxury and effortless performance, with V12 engines available for the first time. The R129 was the last SL with a detachable hardtop and – for many Mercedes fans – the last to be built to the marque’s legendary standards of construction.
With that sophistication came new levels of equipment and unprecedented complexity. For would-be buyers today, there are more points than ever to watch out for. The cars’ weight also puts strain on components such as the brakes and suspension. Choosing a good R129 demands care.
This buyer's guide will help you do just that. Learn about the differences between models, and what to look for when buying. What are the true running costs, and what issues – with the mechanicals, body or interior – should you be wary of? Find the answers to these questions and information about the clubs and specialists who can help look after your R129 today.
Fast becoming a modern classic, Mercedes’ tempting but complex R129 series SL demands care when buying secondhand.
The only guide to the R129 series SL specifically written to help the would-be buyer choose the right car.
• Practical, easy to use layout based on successful EBG format
• 100 colour illustrations show key points to check close-up
• Notes on the evolution of the car over its long production life
• Handy checklists to take with you when looking at cars to buy
• Written from the author’s own experience as an SL500 owner and with the support of independent specialists