• Alfa Mail: an Alfa book that isn’t just about Alfas
• Cars, Bikes, Planes, Places, People, Unbridled Prejudice
• Foreword by Ed McDonough: racing driver, historian & author
• Everything from Car Porn to The Joy of Scrapyards
• Brilliant Alfa Sud. Total Bloody Disaster
• Doctor jiggles my testicles. I cough obligingly
• Mr. Slow; probably still there, in his Toyota Colonica
• Constance Spry School of Flower Arranging & Bedroom Etiquette
• Two postwar 1.5-litre cars: (1) Porsche, 50bhp. (2) Alfa, 450bhp
• Seriously enhance your A30. With an oxy-acetylene cutter
Combines scholarship with unbridled prejudice. Occasionally makes Clarkson seem strangely reasonable. - A.H. Davis
Comprising 20 ‘open letters from a part-time petrolhead,’ Alfa Mail looks at much more than the Alfa Romeo marque. Cars, aircraft, motorcycles – even tractors – feature in this irreverently personal view of internal combustion, ‘the great enabler,’ for better or worse. Or maybe just for fun. This book goes beyond the normal car book format, exploring what made Alfa special, and asking whether the future of the mark is important or relevant in today’s world.
Alfa Mail is about Alfa Romeos. What made them great – and what will probably make them extinct. It’s also about other cars too – great, good, bad and appalling – plus planes, bikes, places, people, prejudice ... and tractors.
Motor vehicles are the greatest practical enablers of the 20th Century (even IT can’t physically take us to Hollywood, or hospital), and stir our emotions like few other artefacts.
Artefacts and their creators make history. Thus, this book is also about great endeavours and sad whimpers. About inspired artists, dedicated engineers, reckless drivers, and intellectually barren marketing people.
Fortunately, for sanity’s sake, this book is also quite happy to take the p*ss. And Alfa enthusiasts are used to jokes.
With well over 100 illustrations, Alfa Mail covers a broad canvas: from Nuvolari, to Morris Marina survival tactics, with spontaneous views that help make this book a genuine pleasure for anyone interested in more than just cars.